Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Amplifier for AN-E

Well I'm not Jack --- who is? right Jack ;)

I think it's going to come down to how loud and what you listen to. Personally I much prefer the 211s or 300B in Parallel with the AN speakers. The Jinro has one maybe two better SET amplifiers (the Ongaku (UK version) and the Tomei). All three are the exact same design with different parts.

The 8 watt 300B probably has enough power most of the time. Indeed, I currently run a Line Magnetic 219IA which is a 24 watt per channel 845 with 310a and 300B driver tubes. I have yet to get the meter to 2 watts on my E/Lexus (review coming for dagogo eventually as well) and I have the non HE version of the speakers. That said my room is considerably smaller than yours.

The Jinro can be used as a power amp or you can buy the power amp version of it. So it has an upgrade path. This is what sold me on the Line Magnetic 219IA - the weaker link in integrateds tends to be the preamp.

An Audio Note M6 and LM 219IA versus a Jinro would cost about the same. And the M6 is a much better preamp than a standalone Jinro. Then in a few years perhaps a pair of Kegons or Conquest Silvers.

(Note I have not heard the 2A3 parallel amps from Audio Note which some find to be their best sounding amps out of everything they make). If that is so you could consider them as they offer very high power (for a 2A3).

Also some people are not big fans of AN preamps - though I have been very impressed with the M3 and M6. Perhaps not hi-fi sounding enough for some tastes. But what they do they do supremely well.

Edits: 09/17/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Amplifier for AN-E - RGA 00:03:37 09/17/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.