Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Andy, Al, Triode-Kingdom, and Mr. X, I agree with you

I was never able to downlaod 4P1L spcs , due to a software glitch on my old computer. I looked on line at the 4P1L data today, a fresh look, and I agree with you guys, it will be a fine tube for me to use on ALTEC A7s. Very linear, and I know all about that.

Actually, the 6AH4GT amp is ALSO being built as a "first amp" ever built, by a Montreal musician friend who runs tweeked ALTEC A7s-500s. I will now offer him a choice, as to what finals to use. Realize, the indirectly heated 6AH4 GT will be easier to implement for a first-time builder. Also, the fellow has a Jolida P-P KT-88 amp so the DC two stage 6AH4 amp should be a nice intital project. What finals tube will be his call now !!!

Since the Montreal musician, and I, have speaker sensitivity up the whazoo, I can easily use just one final tube, and avoid any choir effect, or skewing.

I would also AC heat the tube, as I use a special design filament transformer for directly heated tubes, having equal resistance, capacitance, and inductance across each half of the center tapped secondary.

Of course, I will use no interstages, and simply direct couple the two stage amp.

As for Rk capacitors, and am confident I know how to implement that, Andy, it doesn't phase me. Its costly, but I know what to do.

I will study the Russian tube some more, and evaluate my use of it over this next week.

Thanks for all your inputs. Sorry to have frustrated you.

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 09/12/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.