Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Like Al I used both 4P1L and 6AH4 as outputs

Like Al I used both 4P1L and 6AH4 as outputs. I came to exactly the same conclusions. The 6AH4 is OK sounding - smooth typical triode sound. It's indirectly heated and I wouldn't be expecting any special magic. The 4P1L, on the other hand, is right up there with 2a3, 300b, 10Y and those guys. Plenty of magic.

The 6AH4 has been around for ages, and nobody is going to "discover" it in any way. A lot of us have tried it as an output and moved on. You could say the same for 6S4A for instance. I used those in a Leak Stereo 20 in PPP. Sounded good, and a lot better than EL84s, but 4P1Ls would sound better.

There are a stack of plausible triodes you can use as outputs. 6CK4, 12B4, 1626 for instance. Tried them all at some point. And stuff I haven't looked at like 7233 and 6877. And then the Russian tubes - a few of those like 6S41, 6S19 etc etc. Goes on and on. I stick with directly heated tubes because they just sound a lot more alive. Why use anything else when you have the option of tubes like 4P1L.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.