Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Linearity

Jeff, I'm always interested in seeing how other people build their gear. And the fact is, some have used tubes with curves that look worse than the 6AH4, and they seemed to like the results. One that comes to mind is the 1626. I wondered for years how a tube with such awful curves could produce a decent amp. The answer is that it doesn't, unless one is willing to overlook the flaws indicated by the curves, which do indeed reach the output of the amplifier. I arrived at that conclusion after one of the users finally made a measurement and posted the results:

Realizing how poor this performance is, the builder even remarked that it's nothing to worry about. Most of it is 2nd harmonic, which "can be accepted by human ears."

My point is, Jeff, that if this is the sort of amplifier you're building, that's fine by me. Personally though, I can't stand listening to designs that produce so much distortion, even when its 2nd harmonic. So, when I see something that seems amiss (like the 6AH4 curves), something that will likely produce an amplifier I wouldn't want to listen to myself, I ask questions. Simple as that.

Keep up posted on the progress!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Linearity - Triode_Kingdom 19:23:44 09/11/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.