Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

thanks Paul

oh by no means would I ever "write off" 2A3s! I rank them as second only to the 45 as my favorite outputs tube. It's just I've never owned a 300B and this one was originally designed as a 300B so I returned it to that configuration to get the flavor of the original design.
I see the WE 300B tube data from the '50s called for 60 milliamperes bias @ -74 VDC and 350 plate volts for 8 watts output.
I couldn't find anywhere where the old producers (WE, RCA, Raytheon and the likes) even mention putting a greater strain on the tubes with greater plate voltage and higher current demands. I'm talking >+400 V plate and >80 mA bias! I'm toying with setting mine at 350/60 when I change out some of the PS caps as I prefer to drive my outputs at less than full throttle to extend tube life and therefore money.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to slide across the finish line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, and shouting GERONIMO!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • thanks Paul - sober1 13:58:56 08/13/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.