Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

my first 300B SET

AN Kit1 - purchased here at AA needing work (sweat equity)

I'm just putting some run time on it to shake out any bugs I might have installed in it while correcting the issues I bought it with. I took it completely apart and reassembled it and changed it from 2A3 to 300B operation. Once I feel confident that I fixed it right, it's back to the bench to check for any signs of "oh shit !?!?". I'm also seriously considering modding the power supply with some oil cans. I did bypass the cathode 220ufd electrolytic cap on the 300B with a .1 ufd metalized poly Dayton cap instead of removing it. I added a 390 ohm resistor in series with the paralleled 1.5Ks (as I did not have the 1.8Ks the build manual calls for) to set what I figure bias to be at ~ 72 milliamps.
And of coarse as soon as I got it upstairs and plugged into my system I saw the 6SN7 socket isn't level! damn it! easy enough to fix.
I consider myself a rank amateur and open to all CONSTRUCTIVE criticisms and suggestions.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to slide across the finish line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, and shouting GERONIMO!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - my first 300B SET - sober1 21:44:47 08/12/14 (16)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.