Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: China

Very interesting post, thanks. I didn't realize they were installing an "extra" tube, but I'm not surprised. When I was a kid, the Japanese sold 12 and 14 transistor radios with half or more of the transistors being dummies just soldered to the board. Didn't fool the FTC for long. :)

Looks like the weekend is getting closer; only a few days now until I land in Beijing. I used to hunt for vacuum tubes during my earlier trips, but now I don't bother. Like you say, if it's any good at all, even passably saleable, they export it. All that's left behind are the dregs. Besides, I have way more tubes already than I can ever use. What I really need is the time to build more gear.

I agree completely about buying quality equipment. I do that with photo gear, usually top-line stuff that I pick up second hand. It costs me very little to use it for several years, then sell it for something better. Sometimes on these trips, I even buy a used body for a spare, then sell it when I get back. That usually ends up looking like a $20 rental. :)

Incidentally, I also lived in China about a year. That was back in '96-'97. I was in technical sales at the time, and I traveled quite a bit with clients around the eastern areas; Shanghai, Nanjing, Beijing up to Shenyang. Could tell a few funny stories about lifestyles and culture from those days. Most of my time this trip will be spent in SW China - Kunming, Dalia, etc. My last two attempts to get into that area were thwarted by natural disasters (quake in '08 and massive floods in '10). I'm looking forward to some new photographic experiences if things go better this year. I hear the streets of Shangri-La are paved with gold...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: China - Triode_Kingdom 22:57:43 06/18/14 (3)
    • RE: China - Triode_Kingdom 17:22:02 08/03/14 (0)
    • RE: China - Steve Jones 11:19:08 06/19/14 (1)
      • RE: China - Triode_Kingdom 13:10:40 06/19/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.