Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: China

Yeah I lived there for a year - and most of what they make in all things are disastrous copies.

Then again a lot of North American stuff is rebadged Chinese stuff (hush hush) with far higher price points. It's pretty tough to take US companies seriously when companies like Theta Data (reviewed as king of the D player maker) bought a Philips Laser Disc player - put the entire $399 player (case included) into their own cheap case and added a whole $25 SPDIF cable and then charged $5,000. At least when the Chinese copy they charge copy prices.

Line Magnetic though is a different animal and so long as they don't do anything stupid they are slowly gaining a solid reputation. John DeVore of Devore Audio uses LM at audio shows and the US Shindo importer is also importing Line Magnetic.

It's definitely a company to keep an eye on over the next few years. Melody and Audio Space are two other good audio brands from China. I am also looking into Mei Xing but their predecessor (Ming Da) had a habit of using fake parts like Rudycon caps instead of Rubycon caps. A copier with dyslexia perhaps.

I have not opened the 219IA amp to check but I did have the dealer here do it to make sure it's using the correct parts. Unfortunately the 219IA is 121 lbs and it is difficult for me to start tipping it over. You have to just find a spot and sit it there and move your furniture around it. I've looked inside the LM DAC which is quite nice - good parts clean design excellent sounding DAC. Better with the NOS RCA bald heads I put in there.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: China - RGA 03:02:13 06/17/14 (10)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.