Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

I have heard them both...

Before I elaborate on their sound, we have to remember that they have to sound dissimilar because they use very different tubes. 300B is a relatively sweeter sounding tube with a certain focus on midrange. If you listen to a lot of rock, pop, michael jackson stuff you will not probably admire what the 300B do. They will sound okay but they wont blow you. On the other hand the EL84 is a more rock-ish, bluesy tube. It has a certain oomph and bite that makes it more suitable to listeners who like rock or rock-inpsired music and want air guitar along with it. However the EL84 can sound a bit hard and probably not as delicate when you listen to jazz and vocals. Having said that:

The Audio note kit Legend 300B (PSE) is very good. It still remains one of the best 300B amps I have heard under $10k price. I have heard the Audio Note conquest alongside and to my ears the Legend was more neutral, faster and overall more accurate. It made rock music sound more interesting than AN conquest. It just has more fun and excitement factor without giving away the delicacy factor. And yes, it is very refined too.

The Manley sounds probably bigger and bolder, has a certain sense of momentum, reasonable neutral, more bass impact, less refined, less delicate, interesting on rock but okay-ish on classical and Jazz. Even though it was fun to listen to, it didnt have the "class".

To complete, I have heard the Audio note OTO SE too, it is also based on EL84 but it is a SET. This amp is amazing. Probably one of the best SETs around for sane money. I liked it more than the big 300B amps from Audio note and most other SETs I have heard. It is that good. But it puts out only about 6 watts "genuinely" so, speakers which will work with it are between far and few. This is just to say that, I like EL84 tubes are lot, more than 300B but implementation is the key.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I have heard them both... - Plinius_Fan 23:36:37 05/11/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.