Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

AVA Humdinger works

I had been plagued by a hum coming from my WrightSound WPA3.5 (2A3) mono blocks. I had tried a number of solutions, including re-tubing rectifiers, adding rubber grommet suspensions, and other AC devices, including the PS Audio UPC and an Emotiva device. I didn't try changing the output capacitors, as some had advices.

The AVA Humdinger worked as promised. That is encouraging, as use on a SET is somewhat "off-label" - it is intended for use with toroidal transformers.

As AVA makes clear, it is NOT intended to reduce hum coming from speakers, just from the amp.

My home has some of the symptoms that made trying the Humdinger worthwhile - problem worse in evening than in morning, and a home wired with dimmer switches and fluorescent lights. (It's a townhouse attached to 5 other units, with limited potential for re-wiring.)

Anyway, I have no association with AVA but, as "hum questions" seem a common affliction in the SET world, and this forum has been helpful to me with my "hum questions", I thought I'd pass on a solution that might work for others.

Below is a link to the AVA "Audio Circle" HumDinger discussion.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - AVA Humdinger works - dvb 09:11:51 05/02/14 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.