Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Audio Note Legend 300B kit or Manley Mahi?

Both solid brands - but you are correct comparing EL84 versus Parallel 300B will highly depend on what you like better. And of course how each will work with whatever preamp you're using.

I think you need to judge the sound somehow yourself because I highly doubt anyone here as heard both amps in direct comparison in the same room with the same equipment. Further - tube choices can benefit hinder the results.

The advantage to the Manley is that it can probably be resold easier given that it's not a kit. The Kit offers the advantage of usually better parts quality at the price and being easily upgradeable by you at a later time - as well as learning a little about electronics if you have not done a kit before. You could upgrade the wiring caps resisters etc down the line quite easily. And you'll be getting Audio Note transformers at the outset which are probably as good as transformers get in the tube world.

But 300Bs tend to cost a lot more than EL84s!!!

What you could do is try to audition the Audio Note OTO SE (EL84) and if you like it then look for the P1SE which is just the power amp section of the OTO SE. This way you can compare apples to apples somewhat in that at least you're comparing EL84 to EL84

Then try to audition the Conquest monoblock amps which are parallel 300B like the Kit. It's easier to find and audition the production models which should give you somewhat of an idea what the kit would be like.

Don't count out the OTO or P1SE either. Much less expensive but highly musically rewarding.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.