Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: John was not enthralled by expensive items

(Actually it was a 5 series.)
(John did not alter the opts, but used the p-p as is.)

It really does not matter much what people post on the asylum regarding the opinion of John's amps.

It's okay if I remain the biggest fan of these amps. I have listened to them every day for the last so many years. I can play the same cd on a system every day for 5 years and not tire of the music on the cd.

If I didn't have one, and with what I know, I would pay as much as needed to get one. I also wished I had had the money to pay 25k or so for the Western Electric speakers that I heard. What a raw combo that would have been.

I would have to say that John's amps are the best that I have heard to recreate what jazz sounds like in the best jazz clubs. It plays all music well although I cannot comment about classical since I don't listen to it much.

I am a fan of the Ohio based musician Tim Story, and I am actually listening to Anouar Brahem right now. If you like that pensive type of new age sound, don't think you can hear it on better, because it can allow that type of music to touch the soul.

Audio sound is not about highs and lows, etc., for me. It's about a host of other sound variables. It's about depth, feelings, ambience, dimensionality, intensity, and other nonspecifics. Some of the nonspecifics occur accidently; it is often not known how to purposely generate them.

It's the same genius that makes for a Rembrant, or why any painting is revered. What goes into the whole that makes us react and feel a certain way.

Audio reproduction is a truly wonderful and unique medium. It has always been art to me. We are here mostly because we know or sense how special it can be. It can be an encounter as remarkable as anything else we are capable of experiencing, and yet it is its own unique medium in the way it can generate particular feelings. The way it can be in the background or foreground and still have its impact on feeling, the way we can enjoy it in our homes, enjoy it when alone. The way it can bring music to life. It can bring "sound' in a special way.

Edits: 04/27/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.