Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: 300B run conservatively?

Good question, but difficult to answer.

Those people who say "I can gat so an so many Watts out of a 300B", they have no other option than to stress the tube. This will impair lifetime, it should be no surprize, but also you play with a bit worn out tubes probably before you know it.

If you run 300B conservatively, you get rewarded with an increase in lifetime, and the power supply is lower cost.

When you use less plate dissipation, you need in addition a compromise with the plate impedance. Meaning, you should not try to compensate for the loss of power, by taking the a plate impedance that gives you more power.

A VERY conservative operating point is: 350V plate to heater, 60mA, and load the tube with 4000 Ohms. That will give you 7Watt at the tube output, transformer loss not included.

Moderately conservative is: 450V plate to heater, 60mA, and load the tube with 5500 Ohms. That will give 10Watt at the tube output. Some (10%?) transformer loss not included.

These two points give you a 2nd harmonics distance of 30dB. Check in the attched picture, for other operating points. Anything below 27Watt is conservative.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 300B run conservatively? - EML 09:18:24 04/25/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.