Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

A final (I hope) question about main-PS (600VDC) caps for my Frankensteins

First, ALL the grungy-sounding resistors, caps, and magnetic hookup wire everywhere in the amp will be replaced with HIGH-quality stuff, so PLS let us not get drawn off topic in this thread.

The amp currently uses a quad of cheap, edgy-sounding (IMO) Solen FastCaps**, 47/630s, with no bypass caps, in the only capacitance following the choke which follows the 5U4G 'rectifier'*. See the link for the schematic diagram.

After considering many alternatives including motor-run caps, the current alternatives for that about-200uF of capacitance are as follows. Not included in the descriptions of the alternatives below are whatever small, HIGH-quality film-type bypasses I might use. Since all of these alternatives are affordable, price is not a factor.

1. Obbligatto film-and-oils, one 70uF plus two 47s plus a 33, totaling 197uFs.

2. WIMA 600VDC DC Link, rectangular, one-each 100uF, 60uF, and 40uF.

3. WIMA 700VDC DC link, cylindrical, one each 143uF and 59uF.

If you've had experience with any of these in poweramp PSs, I'd love to read about it.

* That's in quotes because it's doing no rectification, being fed with filtered DC.

** and if you like the sounds of these caps, I'll soon have 8 for sale, cheap! :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - A final (I hope) question about main-PS (600VDC) caps for my Frankensteins - jeffreybehr 19:05:05 04/20/14 (31)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.