Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: weak link

I'm not really a speaker designer, so far I've just bought a product
that was supposed to be good. Compared to previous junk, it was an improvement. It didn't take long however to find that they had issues too.

The Altecs behave pretty well upto a point, and that's not very loud.
Since I know what they're doing wrong (to some degree) when I go a little louder, I just put up with it, since I have no choice at the moment.

I don't know why I'd what variability in my speaker load, I'm trying to get away from exactly that. My new and first DIY speaker project is almost done, and I went to some trouble to select flatter impedance and response curves in the devises I chose, I hope this will overcome my disappointments with the 604's, we'll see.

I agree that speakers are the weakest link.

The point I was making is that there are a variety of abilities in listening, thinking they're all approaching the same goal set, and they're actually not. Which is fine, but I felt it needed to be called what it is, and the differences spelled out and respected. The hope was to end some of the "declarations" made by some to those who are in a different ball park.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.