Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: I'm here ....

That's a really good question on many fronts.

My speaker system happened to come with a very elaborate SS Crossover which could be configured in several ways. Initially, my source fed the Crossover and it drove my main amps and sub amps separately. But as good as the crossover was it was never going to be as good as feeding the source directly to the main amps for mids and highs, which has been my configuration for many years.

This would be a fairly normal way to add a sub and whilst good ones will have very good control of crossover frequency and even slope, feeding a SET directly to some lower efficiency (full range) speakers still poses a potential problem with power requirements and perhaps even the load the speakers present to the amps to achieve what I'm suggesting. I suspect that this was the point of your question and it's a good one.

There are ways around this without sacrificing the direct connection from SET to speakers. For DIYers like me, I chose to have my SET OP trannies wound to slightly favour high end extension at the expense of low end. I also limit low end extension slightly with my choice of cap value in the OP stage of my source feeding my SETs.

If one wasn't a DIYer another method in a three-way system might be to connect the woofer to the 8 ohm tap and the mid/tweeter combo to the 4 ohm, assuming the amps has taps. If not, perhaps a step down transformer or small value of series R, though this wouldn't be my first choice. Any of these methods are only a good idea if the woofer is crossed over to the mids at a relatively low frequency and is predicated on the fact that no matter what the slope of the LP filter in the sub it will always still add some energy in the mid bass area.

All I've said is only to provide ideas for anyone faced with wanting to run SET but are put off power requirements and speaker efficiency. In most cases none of this would be required and the amps could be simply connected directly to the speakers and in parallel to a GOOD powered sub.

Naz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I'm here .... - Naz 15:45:12 03/27/14 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.