Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

I'm here ....

Just haven't had much time lately and would've missed this thread if not for a good friend of mine.

Generally, I have to agree with most of what's being said but there's one thing that everybody has missed and that's the fact that most of the power needed to drive relatively inefficient speakers is required for bass. IME, serious low end can demand ten times the power of mids and the ratio is even higher for top end.

I personally wouldn't swap SET for any other topology and it is exactly what you need for real sounding music. There are some damn good speakers out there in the 90db range and if that's what you had and liked them that much then why not couple then to a decent sized SET for mids and highs and rely on a top class sub, powered by SS for the heavy lifting. Classical in particular just isn't the same unless you can move lots of air in the 20-40Hz region and it works wonders for scale.

Of course, clean, three dimensional mids is where the soul of the music lies and this is where SET shines above all else IMHO for realism. But not all SETs are created equal and without good design, decent tubes, PSU, OP tranny and most importantly, zero GNFB (totally agree Paul) SET can still disappoint and be beaten by other topologies.

My speakers are only around 90db. They are huge and seemingly completely the wrong thing for SET, including presenting a difficult load. I run PSE845s that will transit into A2 for approx 75 good Watts and this is enough to fill a huge room. But I run monster, high quality subs at 600W and that makes all the difference. The trick is to keep the subs working below 50Hz with a very steep rolloff above or they will muddy the gorgeous sound of music being reproduced through great SETs. Get it right and you can have your cake and eat it!

Naz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.