Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: charles, what speakers do you use with your Frank-IIs? (NT)

Hi,

The amps being discussed are very good and and also priced reasoanbly, they are certainly not the last word in the SET world, nor they are at the technology forefront of what can be done to a 300b amplifiers to max their sound potential.

If interested you can do a research in the Tube DIY or various other sites. Reading people like Dclowmu and his passion on power supplies, layout, wiring and parts selection can be very interesting and entertaining (taking everything with a grain of salt please!). He and a few other people actually got non-tech guy like me interested in DIY and started to build my own amplifiers, and Im glad I did because my amps now (adopted a lot of things discussed & tried by those more seasoned DIY veterans) sound a lot better than the commercial products of the famous brands i used to own and have listened to. In a general having no price point marketing as the limiting design factor, people can build way better 300b amps than the average commercially available products (your amps included).

So if you want to further your horizon and do not wish (like me) to burn a few tens of thousand bucks at a time with the latest amps reviewed in the magazines, then consider DIY. I wouldn't say it will be less costly in the long run (its actually cost me alot more to DIY) but its alot more fun and the best thing for me has been to escape from the shitty brainwash marketing of the magazine and online review sites. Knowing what options availble that sound good to me and get to build and enjoy them myself cannot be bad.

Just some thoughts.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.