Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: tube amplifier for classical music,large orchestr.

Others have made the important points so I won't re-iterate

But I will say two things - I prefer zero-feedback SETs for classical symphonic music, and to do that requires more power than expected. My system is 101dB nominal, and it works for me in a modest size room with an 8-watt 300B amp. To get the same level from 90dB speakers would take 100 watts.

The reason SETs need to have excess power is distortion - in my opinion, of course! Large-scale symphonic music is spectrally very dense, so even small amounts of nonlinearity result in too much intermodulation, covering up the inner voices. SETs being free of crossover distortion, they become more linear the lower the signal is relative to the full power signal.

Crossover distortion can be eliminated by operating a push-pull amp in Class A, but most P-P designs, tube or solid state, also have feedback. Feedback pumps distortion energy into higher harmonics which are very much more unpleasant. This is, again in my technical opinion, the reason I prefer to use an SET with lots of headroom.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.