Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

It must be something in the air that causes these amp builders

to engage in these shoddy build practices.I just posted one a few days ago but the Tango iron is iron to be envious of.I'm assuming this is a SET amp and like Paul and the guys said below,you need to change all the components out because those are questionable.
The fortunate thing is,you look like you may have some decent real estate in the amp to install better components.Diodes,I would use the Schottky-Cree diodes.Filter caps,being a low powered amp if its single ended,I would definitely use film caps in the main B+ supply such as motorruns or regular poly film caps such as Electronic concepts,CDE,or Panasonic,or Wima.Here is a picture of a 100uf@600v EC poly standing next to a JJ dual 100uf@500v electrolytic..You can see they made EC poly compact which is a plus.It a 1/4 shorter than the JJ but it is bigger around.
Clean up that poor workmanship first and foremost.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • It must be something in the air that causes these amp builders - Michael Samra 12:44:37 03/19/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.