Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Repairing a second Tango 211 Japanese amp

Hi all,

I acquired an amp similar to the one I already have (see thread: http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=set&m=74593). Whereas the one I have was well made and needed just some minor tune-up, this amp needs a lot more work. Almost all capacitors are leaking, and some of the metal-film resistors have disintegrated (see attached image). I also think the diodes are no longer working. Before starting the repair, I hope you can help me answer these questions:

— What event could have caused this massive fail inside the amp? I know the owner was using a 12BZ7 instead of the spec'ed 12AX7 tube, but not sure if that could have caused such a disaster.

— Resistors: Should I replace all low-watt metal film resistors, or just the ones that are visibly damaged? Also in the image, you can also see a red resistor. This and ones like it are high-watt resistors. What type are they? Do you think these need replacing too? (They look/measure OK, and that would add a lot of work).

— Capacitors: Due to the circuit layout, I am mostly restricted to using axial capacitors, which leaves me with Nichicon VX for the aluminum ones. Are these sufficiently good? Do you have other suggestions for the aluminum caps?

— Diodes: The circuit sheet specifies ERC16-12 diodes. I found the spec sheet (attached). It’s in Japanese, but the important specs are clear. Would these Vishay avalanche diodes be a good replacement? I am concerned about the difference in forward current vs forward voltage between the two, but I don’t know enough to tell if this is an issue. Are there better diodes to use?

Note that the circuit schematic is in the thread referenced above.

Thanks!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Repairing a second Tango 211 Japanese amp - batriq 15:52:20 03/17/14 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.