Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Warning, rant ahead.

A KT-120 is not a triode, even when wired as a triode.

Parallel tubes should give more power but IMO the whole point of SET has been thrown out with the bath water when you use triode wired beam power tubes (paralleled or not).

Direct Heated Triodes are very linear compared to triode wired beam power tubes.

IMO the term "SET" means only one thing, Single Ended Direct Heated Triode.

Here's what's wrong with push pull IMO.

You're counting on the two tubes being perfectly matched.

You're counting on the drive signal to be perfectly out of phase at all frequencies and having the exact same amplitude.

You're counting on the two halves of the primary winding of the output transformer to be perfectly matched at all frequencies.

When any of the above are not matched the signal gets degraded to some degree or another.

I know you're not talking about push pull but unless the two tubes in a single ended parallel amplifier are perfectly matched some of that same type of degradation will occur.

You won't have the purity of a true SET amplifier. (not to mention the lack of purity of a triode wired beam power tube to begin with)

If you want a SET amplifier, build or buy a true Single Ended Direct Heated Triode amplifier. That's the only way you'll know what all the fuss is about.

End of rant.

Tre'

Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

Edits: 02/13/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.