Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: When did you know SE sound was it?

1) The second I heard it but I did get some help from Sound Practices on what to expect. Fi X.

2) Dynaco ST-35, Pilot SA-232, Fisher SA-16, these are still very good amps in my system and needed when I really want to crank-up the rock-n-roll. I'm using Altec Flamenco's.

3) No, I still consider it the best deal going to get you started on the SET route unless you can DIY. With a few extra tubes to play with and a few upgrades I have about $1600 into my fi X.

4) I've been looking for a backup SS amp for a few years now for cheap. Tried the vintage Harman Kardon 430, the JVC Super-A amps, Yamaha M series stuff, Marantz PM amps, etc. Could not live with them even as a backup. Went over to DIY Audio to read up on the chip and class D amps and ended up getting a Topping TA2020 t-amp type amp ($99 plus shipping). This is the biggest no-brainer audio purchase I've ever made. Good spare amp, good for an AV system for watching stuff on PALLADIA.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: When did you know SE sound was it? - Qman 08:42:47 11/19/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.