Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Best SET amp for 110 db Horns multiamp

This is a really good post. Keep us informed of your adventures!

I try to confine my statements about amps-- as good general information. I won't mention brand names unless there's something GOOD I can say about that brand.

In that regard, I'll repeat one thing-- Total-music-coverage amps do exist, but are extremely rare. Also, great dynamics are a part-- an important part-- of human musical impression.

While I look for an amp to do everything musically right-- if it does anything at all-- even slightly-- to diminish overall dynamics, or to limit bottom-end extension, then I'll not allow it into any system that I build.

It's been very hard to convey what's important in electrically engineering an amp for music-- and how to stop messing your mind with what is overrated, over-measured, over studied, or depends on some form of "science". This is a physical world. What works physically IS the only real Science..

Power supplies and wiring have to be efficient-- if either of these slows down or loses energy from a musical signal-- then the thrill is gone, even though audiophiles may still delight in "images" or accurate "tonality". While these things are (and should be) addressed in an ultimate amp, they are minor considerations compared to getting musical dynamics right..

Each stage of amplification has its losses of musical intent (on the part of musicians). When too many active stages in an amplifier cause diminishment of dynamics, people will often resort to providing more gain and power in order to restore it-- with MORE gain stages!.

They'll get some dynamics back, and they'll get proper drive power for their speaker. You see this all the time where people use active preamps (other than phono-- which is necessary) to get the "kick" back AFTER they lost it in the system. However, critical musical micro-dynamics are GONE-- and cannot be restored within such a system.

That's not the answer. The answer is to perfect each part of the system where LOSSES ARE MINIMIZED, loading is minimized, and voltage swing is maximized.. That provides terrific dynamics WITHOUT additional preamp or driver stages-- but it offers much more!

The music is fully intact. It is ALL THERE.

---Dennis---

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Best SET amp for 110 db Horns multiamp - tube wrangler 22:38:06 07/31/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.