Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Right. Now explain that to your buddy Dennis!(nt)

Hi Tre,

"How's that for experimentation, empirical learning, iterative methods, questioning, taking a different approach and actually listening to the results?"

To answer your question in brief: unconvincing. I will qualify that by stating that I used to develop medical / clinical research protocols for a living, so feel free to consider my judgement of your approach harsh if you wish.

TBH, *all* experimentation is flawed. As is our so-called Scientific Method, which even the most general health research text states. Although it is not my area of expertise or even interest these days, I think most experimentation discussed on audio forums is naive at best. Despite this, we still seem to be learning... So, let's do what is practicably possible; let’s experiment, even if our methods are imperfect. But by the same token, let us also not attribute more to the 'results' that we should. The results of our experiments are not absolute truths.

I'm not going to crap on about general experimentation any longer; books have been written about it. But I will mention placebo effects before I sign off. I find it interesting that when expectation effects are discussed, people are almost implicitly discussing the positive expectation effects. Very rarely discussed are the negative expectation effects that might be prevalent among cynics and sceptics. For example, the expectation that some factor will *not* have a causal effect. Expectation effects cut both ways. This serves as background to the point that just because you don't hear something does not mean it does not exist or that others cannot hear it.

Of course, this makes it increasingly difficult to refute fallacious claims.

Cheers.

EDIT: I am also sceptical of the claims made regarding the length of wire, at least the lengths and context we are discussing here. My comments were referring to Dennis' approach in general and I was being rather light-hearted about it, though that could be lost in translation. It was off topic and has dragged this thread out a little longer than it deserves (to my mind). Apologies for the diversion.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." Shunryo Suzuki

Edits: 07/21/12 07/21/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.