Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

facing the loss

Experimenting one day with my direct coupled high current low mu triode driver to 2A3 amp, I tried a paralleled by-pass cap across my final C to the output stage. I put an old Westcap PIO 0.0022/600v cap across the 50uf motor run that was already there. I had assumed that the Japanese made oil filled motor run cap was a "decent" cap. To my horror, I instantly heard a large difference. Now the metallic nature of symbols and all their reflections, phasing etc., were much more "present" as though this band of frequencies was now "boosted" by 1 or 2 db, or were now not -1 or -2 db....I liked it for a while but realized it was out of balance. I realized then that there was more loss or less quality (frequency wise) in a PIO motor run than I had thought. I also realized that to bring balance back I had to either remove the 0.0022 OR add numerous more small by-pass caps to the 50uf + 0.0022uf combination.
(I removed the experimental cap, for now but...)

I don't know the science or math behind what was verified experimentally. I do know that paralleling caps is NOT A NEW IDEA.
Whatever losses were present before the experiment, were now selectively less, selective to the point that with patience, one could experiment
with numerous other small value "quality" caps across any other PS or cathode by-pass cap and "re-achieve" balance, but with "less" overall losses, which "equate" to the perception of improved sonics.

This is what Dennis has done, it's no secret. The values he has experimentally chosen, are indeed his proprietary secrets. His version of "re-achieved" balance is what he deems his best for now, effort to compensate for the inevitable losses. These loses INCLUDE the less than ideal relationship between his driver of choice and the Cmiller of a 2A3.
To what degree has this been done? Very hard to answer, UNLESS somebody has the MATH to explain what is happening in a multiple paralleled cap situation, which nobody to date has provided. IMHO, this compensation for losses, IS THE PRIMARY "feature" of the Serious Stereo product (an item I've never heard and don't plan/need to BTW), which also includes attention to wire type and length. Is it imaginary? No. Is it perfect? No. Can we understand why this approach was attempted? Yes. Can the science only crowd poopoo this? of course. Is the poopooing backed up with math? Not yet, only partially in areas where known math applies, the rest of the picture remains unexplained, period.

So we have what I'm calling hard evidence that we have a significantly lossy system EVEN WITH the simplest of circuit design, DC SE.
Some will not try to compensate for it, pretending it's not there to begin with, or without the math to comfort aching minds, won't.
Others will, however they go about it. All they can do is report subjective findings, period, regardless of their "wish" to be scientific.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - facing the loss - GSH 10:18:40 06/26/12 (16)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.