Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: That tinkling sound you hear is me breaking...

You gotta sell 'em to buy some EMLs!

RCA/Cunningham SINGLE PLATE 2A3 was built right. It had a completely vertical filament system that matched the shape of its plate and grid system.

It was the best tube we had until the AVVT Mesh Plate.... it was slightly better than the EIMAC 75TL industrial tube. The AVVT guys also made us a good 45 with a similar, musically linear filament system..

EML is the big dog today.

What did the RCA/Cunningham SINGLE PLATE 2A3 do? It sounded coherent-- something RCA's Biplates and slant-filament 45s could not do. Music straightened out and got some religion. (The EIMAC 75TL triode is also musically coherent).

The Bottom-End wasn't anything to write home about, but all the octaves were represented-- maybe not fully. Mids and highs were good. Midrange voices-- both male and female-- and piano was good.

At one time a pair of these fetched $1000-$1600.00-- if in good condition.

Today, we have them beaten with modern tubes. Are they still good? They are.

I didn't discuss these before because they're hard to find, and we now have better.

---Dennis---

Edits: 06/04/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: That tinkling sound you hear is me breaking... - tube wrangler 19:40:19 06/04/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.