Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Apparently, you missed an important qualitifer.

Hi Dennis,

I am glad you interpreted my comments as I intended - sometimes I am less than clear. Sometimes in my efforts to tell people what I don't like I fail to let them know what I do like.

I agree with much you say, applaud the path you have taken and thank you for your willingness to question and share, even if I don't agree with everything you claim. I agree with much of your post, though I don't think someone is stupid for choosing equipment – consciously or not – different or inferior to what you have described.

It is understandable for someone who likes a certain type of music, to try to maximise their enjoyment of it, possibly to the detriment of other genres (often without realising it). When they listen to those other genres they might think them uninteresting, overly bombastic, crude, poorly recorded... indeed, it could be the fault of their system. And/or they may just not like that type of music. So they miss out, in a way. Or not. But, is it really missing out if they are enjoying their preferred music more? Their experiences would be limited, but I would not judge their choice as stupid. All of us are limited in our experiences. All of us make decisions that we feel are based on sound reasoning that are apparently daft to others. We all have blind spots. We are all at the mercy of our own BS.

There is much more I could say. But I will end here because I now wonder whether anything I say is relevant. My relationship with music and its reproduction seems different to most here. It is likely based in Zen practice (though I am not an active practitioner) and seems more about simply experiencing music, in 'most any form, via 'most any system... anything else is an addition that disconnects one from reality, including concepts of more perfect or enhanced reproduction. I also recognise that such is a vague ideal, that I am attached to certain presentations, and that certain systems that help bring me closer to simple experience or enjoyment. One such system would likely be the type you have described.

I would very much like to hear one of your systems one day.

Cheers.
"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." Shunryo Suzuki

Edits: 06/06/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Apparently, you missed an important qualitifer. - RC Daniel 03:10:54 06/03/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.