Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: What speakers? Nt

I notice that the tubes in the "progression" you describe seem to get more and more odd-looking and exotic as the progression...what? progresses? Which reminds me that there's a site I found, wandering some SET amp site "cycle" late one night, that is run by some fellow in Germany. And he builds the coolest looking SET amps I've ever seen. EVERYTHING is from scratch--he winds his own caps, etc. Beautiful hardwood plinths for the amp chassis, huge, clunky, ancient-looking PIO cap for the PS that look like they came from the Hindenberg or Tesla'a attic. All the iron is hand made by some associate. And the wierdest, most 19th-century-hoist-the-monster-up-the-tower-in-the-electrical-storm-looking tubes you've ever seen. Gauges, knobs, everthing is one-of-a-kind psuedo-gothic horror movie style. His HE speakers are enormous, beautifully-woodworked things that look as though they might have been converted from old (what do you call thise things?--those free-standing furniture closets--aramours? something like that). Of course they hold a 6" Lowther or something like that. God knows what this stuff must cost him. Then again, he is probably wealthy from selling these works of art to well-healed artsy audiophiles. Assuming they sound as good as they look. They MUST. If all that twisted techno-beauty didn't sound incredible, than all would not be right with the universe. It would be wrong indeed. I refuse to believe it doesn't. It really is worth a look. I think I'll try to google-stumble my way back there for another look, now that I thnk of it. I suggest you poke around a little. It's well worth the ogle.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What speakers? Nt - david.osborne77@yahoo.com 13:01:59 06/02/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.