Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: 2A3

I have some of those Kron 2A3s. They're microphonic-- that's not all bad unless excessive. Hum level is higher than some-- that's no problem either-- musically.

They're fairly rugged, have a nice slim, tall plate-- it's a unique design like no other-- one of a kind. It runs just fine without excessive heat in my tests.

Mine don't pass the "Thump and Rattle" test any too well- the champ for that is the JJ 2A3-40. (A good one, that is-- some JJ are loose also-- as with all brands). Of course, you're hand-picking ALL of your tubes--right? Good. Expect to buy 5 tubes of any brand or type-- and get two good ones. That's about standard for GOOD manufacturers.

Generally, I don't like loose or sloppy construction-- but this thing isn't THAT bad-- it does sound nice-- if you don't miss the missing Bottom-End-- I do!.

Hey! It has more Bottom-End than those Sovtek and Electro-Harmonic strangers. (most anything does). Then, again, there are those who like the NOS 45 tube-- it does voice well. This is a lot like that-- not for me! I will use the EML 45 tube--now that's nice-- just like their 2A3-- good as usual!

Sonically, these Krons have a nice, clear midrange with decent musical layering and good coherency. Midrange and highs are OK. In fact, highs are almost thrilling.

There is NO COMPLETE-- linear, Bottom-End fundamental! That octave is simply missing-- mostly.

Is this good or bad? That will depend on one's speaker, his room settings, and his personal musical tastes. I think this thing could have been designed for female voices.

I don't play mine-- they sit on the shelf. They look pretty because they're still like new and their boxes are cool. And they ARE a good pair. Oh, well!

I could show them to people. Yes, they really did make those!

---Dennis---

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 2A3 - tube wrangler 17:57:40 05/29/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.