Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Mesh 2A3

Let me add the missing information to this topic! There is no need for anyone to guess about AVVT failure rate. I have all data here.

Well I was the one who sold the final AVVT 2A3 mesh stock to Dennis Fraker. These were all fine tubes from a the best datecodes ever made by AVVT. First Dennis bough a few, and after he saw what he received, he bought all I had left. Failure rate of that batch was zero. Such zero failure rate batches show useually much higher lifetime as well.

However, te early AVVT 2A3 mesh were a complete desaster, and they ruined their reputation mostly with that particular tube. Some bacthes were over 50% defect within the first year.

So this is really the good and bad of AVVT. You can get great tubes. Or not. And you can't tell unless you have insight about the series numbers. Another issue with the mesh AVVT is very high risk on shipment damage. They are mesh without a frame, which means just box drop, and the plates are deformed. The pair is no pair any more, or worce they are of specs when you have bad luck.

After that came the VAIC brand. That was simply good quality. Generally you have a good buy with those, provided they are not used up since. They are minimum 10 years old now. So if these are good on a tube tester, that's probably what they are. The VAIC MESH 2A3 had this "window". Like solid plate with a window in the middle. (Ed, you probably mean those)

After that came the EML brand. These have not a window, but a tiny frame around just to hold the mesh in place tight. The EML 2A3-mesh never ever had any issue whatsoever. I just looked back into the failure statistics for this tube. There were only two broken EML 2A3-mesh reported within the first 12 months, and that was ever since 2002.

Jac

Edits: 05/21/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Mesh 2A3 - EML 14:58:17 05/21/12 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.