Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

looking to the same goal

Every time I have heard what I thought was a successful SET system there were very high efficiency speakers involved. The SET systems that I felt did not show off the amps did not have such high efficiency.

SETs have unmeasurable distortion at lower powers. Take away distortion and detail is usually revealed. So if they are allowed to operate at low power levels relative to their total output power, I find most SETs to by quite transparent. It is that property that other amps can share *if* care is taken to a) not use feedback and b) get rid of distortion by other means.

How our stuff differs from SETs is that we don't get the 'dynamic' quality at higher power levels, although at those power levels the amps can sound surprisingly relaxed and free of loudness cues- a lot like real music.

But in the case of the OT, a single-ended preamp should not be that hard to sort out. IMO it probably should be zero feedback for best results relative to the OT.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • looking to the same goal - Ralph 11:25:57 05/13/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.