In Reply to: RE: What speakers? Nt posted by RPMac on May 12, 2012 at 16:43:09:
My horn is far shittier that that. It's a no-name (I expect Chinese) Dave Riddle (eBay huckster who sells all manner of cheap speakers, etc.-- I don't know how many 2 for 30$ 6.5" Isophon woofers I've bought from him; still trying to figure out what to do with them--seemed a good idea at the time[s]) driver/plastic exponetial that cost about 40$ total. I'm looking at Dayton round waveguides. I'm thinking about gluing a comp. horn driver plate on a Pyle bullet tweeter, and mating it with an 8" Dayton w.g., and using the cheap-o driver (perhaps to be upgraded) with a 12" w.g.for mids (if I need a mid).
I like the idea of running the E.V. full range. I can get a rough idea of the impedance by measuring it with a multimeter, but I've no T/S parameters (and E.V. made a LOT of different speakers that look pretty much like this (the center badge on the magnet structure is gone) so I'll be guessing at box size. (no driver measuring software, yet) I was thinking 3 cf. But maybe the Heresy/Cornwall cabinet demensions would be as good a place to start as any. Though I will probably go narrower and deeper, perhaps slightly taller. But not much, becauseI assume the Klipsches are a "golden ratio" design, so I don't want to stray too far.
Yeah, I'm leaning toward the S.E.X. (as at) least my second SET. I may get a cheaper one first, out of nothing but impatience. and there's a really good-looking small integrated SET amp with an art-deco "30s looking stainless case offerd by something called I.A.G. audio as a kit for $500 that would look great on the computer table. But yeah, I can apparantly keep morphing the S.E.X. into something new and interesting, and that has real appeal.
Can you tell me the demensions of the box in which you have your SP12Bs ? I do not, of course, expect this speaker project to be the low eff. speaker that I'll stay with, to the extent that I'll stay with any. I just want to have something to drive with whatever SET amp(s) I build, and I've already got a lot of the parts I'll need for this monstrosity. I also have a source for fairly inexpensive NOS PIO caps. Thnking of following your advice and running the EV full range. I guess it has a pretty smooth roll-off?. Do you know the c/o frequency you're using ? I'll be using a different HF/MR, with probably different ranges and impedences, so I'dneed a different cap(s). I suppose I'd need a coil, in addition to a second cap, if I were going to go three way (I think we can assume the chinese comp. driver DOES NOT have a smooth roll-off). Come to think of it, a first order xover probably would not do for the mid for just that reason. That is a good argument for going two way. (I apologise for thinking out loud, so to speak)
BTW, a friend of mine gave a pair of Heresies, good at very least for parts and cabinet, to the Catholic Salvage or something before I could get wind of it! I thnk she tossed a decent (for compyter or t.v.) Boston Acustics sub, too.
Regarding earth-shattering volume, I still have my Newform R645s and Mesa Baron to blow back the little bit of hair that I still possess.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - SET kit suugestions? - email@example.com 06:53:32 05/09/12 (23)
- RE: SET kit sugestions? - sonicboom 20:50:28 05/14/12 (0)
- Also look at Acoustic Dimension - Jay Buridan 21:28:13 05/12/12 (0)
- RE: SET kit suugestions? - firstname.lastname@example.org 15:14:09 05/10/12 (0)
- What speakers? Nt - RPMac 11:47:56 05/10/12 (6)
- RE: What speakers? Nt - email@example.com 06:39:27 05/11/12 (5)
- RE: What speakers? Nt - Frihed89 22:25:41 05/11/12 (4)
- RE: SET kit suugestions? - mhardyman 13:43:45 05/09/12 (7)
- I built that Decware and Elekit - Sebrof 19:49:14 05/10/12 (0)
- Which Decware Amp are you referring to?..................... - Cut-Throat 15:35:20 05/09/12 (5)
- RE: Which Decware Amp are you referring to?..................... - mhardyman 15:40:53 05/09/12 (4)
- RE: Which Decware Amp are you referring to?..................... - firstname.lastname@example.org 18:35:31 05/09/12 (3)
- RE: Which Decware Amp are you referring to?..................... - Paul Joppa 21:27:44 05/09/12 (2)
- Ditto Bottlehead nt - RPMac 10:58:45 05/09/12 (3)
- RE: Ditto Bottlehead nt - ahendler 12:24:30 05/09/12 (2)
- They sell an Kt88 SE. It may even be wired as a Triode and they also sell SETs - Frihed89 14:48:36 05/09/12 (1)
- Not Bottlehead! - Paul Joppa 21:00:00 05/09/12 (0)
- Bottlehead in Seattle - Frihed89 09:22:23 05/09/12 (0)
- RE: What speakers? Nt - email@example.com 19:14:14 05/12/12 (0)