Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: That is very low power output

It is only low relative to the higher dissipation points (yep, I just stated the obvious) and on a power per $$$ basis. It is not low in any important (for me) sense; for example, not so low it cannot operate effectively etc.

Regarding sound quality, I think it depends on the 2A3 vs. 300B being used and the I/V ratios used. For ~ 4W output, I'd be inclined to think a 300B would be more appropriate. At 2W output, I'd likely opt for a 2A3 (at lower current and higher load than common). For 1W+ I'd likely opt for a 45 at the textbook 250V operating point.

I have read some claims of the 2A3 to be 'sweeter', especially in posts form back in day. I'd ask what 2A3 and what 300B, at what operating points and load, in what type of circuit? Others claim the 2A3 to be relatively tonally dry and mechanical yet airy. I'd ask the same questions...

If a NOS 2A3 and inexpensive modern 300B are compared, both using their more traditional operating points, then a 2A3 might likely sound “sweeter”. But...

Cheers.
"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." Shunryo Suzuki

Edits: 05/11/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.