Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

finally

After being asked like what, nine times??? You finally offer something. Thanks. However, I disagree. Here’s why.

Your premise presumes that it is impossible to make a remote controlled switch that won’t inject noise into a signal. That is just not true. Examples…

1. A stepper motor controlled by a circuit that goes to sleep when not being used. It can control whatever rotary control you do approve of. You could even put the receiver and control circuit in another box and the motor on a long shaft away from the switch if you were so worried about noise. It would be absolutely no different than walking up to the pre and turning it by hand.

2. Same thing with relays, if you are concerned with the signal going through a relay you could have it on the ground leg of the voltage divider.

3. I can come up with more if needed.

Despite that, let’s presume for a second that it can’t be done. It would still make no difference since any well designed system is set up so you are using it with the volume control set to the top part of its range. If you are turning it down so low that the signal is significantly weaker than that then your system is poorly designed i.e. it has too much gain. Think about this… a phono stage can be designed to handle signals that never go above a few millivolts which means the low level info is down in microvolts yet they can be dead quiet and sound quite glorious. Don’t you think the same people can design a way to switch volume without doing any damage?

That being said, this will never be settled, but thanks for finally participating. You evidently believe in what a few designers tell you. I’ve heard way too many systems using remote preamps that sound fantastic to believe it is limiting factor.

Take care

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • finally - bwb 17:41:35 05/07/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.