Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Ignorant?

I agree with the notion that there are indeed sweatshops in China. However, like most stereotypes you can't generalize the few to be representative of ALL.

Line Magnetic and Melody have been OEM for numerous American and Italian and Japanese brands who put Made in Japan, Made in Italy, Made in America stickers on their amps - so the laws governing labeling is questionable (when you cut government bodies that check on that stuff - that's what happens.

I lived in Mainland China and I saw terrible working conditions by any North America standard. But I also saw some good ones.

The Asian market is loaded with money - they're the ones buying all the $100,000 British Made Audio Note preamps. The dealer in Hong Kong probably sells to rich Chinese who vacation in Hong Kong wanting the best. All the money is in Asia.

So the Chinese makers who build for their own market have to be good in order to compete - they have to be much better in fact because the Rich Chinese ALSO view Chinese made stuff as being inferior. Reputations once earned are very difficult to overcome (see American piles of junk cars through all of the 80's and 90s and even now they're looked at sideways despite the Japanese quality falling off a cliff)

To be fair though you really should look to these better makers - Steven Rochlin of enjoythtmusic.com did a big factory tour through the Chinese tube amp makers availabe at their site.

Another from 6moons http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/roadtourchina/melody.html

Pay is lower but cost of living is lower - the key is whether the wage is reasonable to the cost of living of the city in which you live. I'm a teacher in B.C. Canada - my wage in terms of buying power is 50% of what it was in the mid 1980s. Like I said - we're going in the wrong direction.

Line Magnetic is here (none of these are deplorable working conditions).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.