Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

KT88 lacks bass and sounds like SS???????

Boy, that is not my experience at all.

My experience is that the EL34 has a nice mid-range, bloated bass and the treble has a towel thrown over it (Rogue Atlas and Quick Silver Mini-mites).

My experience with KT88/6550 tubes in my mini-mites and a custom class A PP triode is that they have a rich, powerful mid-range sound that is exquisite for listening to Peter Gilmore play the guitar; have proper highs, much better than the EL34, and really excell in the bass. (I use GE 6550 and the Chinese GEKT88 tubes, the latter of which is a copy of the GEC hard plates and is bargain tube with great sound).

Of course we don't all hear or prefer the same sounds in the same way, but I wouldn't give up on the KT88, before trying some other amps. They also make a nice sound in SE mode, if you have ever listened to the old AN Kit 1.

As I mentioned above, Don Garber's 2A3 and 300B amps represent a much lower cost bargain to great sound than AN. But he doesn't make an integrated (yet) and the wait is over a year! Read the Jeff Day reviews of these in 6M. I think Art Dudley may also have reviewed the 300b monos a while back.

Good luck.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.