Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: My Hogan 6sn7/300b...

I don't know where that number of 200 came from. I would think there are 60 max. I also know that John would count a pair of monos as 2 not 1, so I would not trust the number he said, and I think he said about 60.

I think the reason why they were (and are) so underpriced is because John worked on them for practically nothing. I think his hourly rate would have been perhaps less than 5 dollars an hour at the price he sold them. It was not a business, it was a consuming passion that he had. He would want me to buy an amp from him so that he could start on the next one.

John would select an organ chassis from among about 5 or 6 that he had on hand. Then he would strip it completely. He could care less where the original holes for the tubes were. He would bore his own holes and lay it out the way he wanted. He really built them completely from scratch.

They are still way undervalued to me and I would enjoy that if you could find one. Knowing what I know about how I like them, if I didn't have one, I wouldn't mind spending whatever on them. You really cannot put a value on them.

The latter ones he built look better and John liked the build quality a lot better, but that does not necessarily make for better amps. My guess is that he built amps from approximately 2001-2006. The "cruder" amps, earlier ones, I would suggest are greatly desirable. I have the first one he built that I have to use a screwdriver to adjust the volume for each channel. I could have brought it to him to upgrade but I never bothered. But that is the amp that I had the "aural matrix" experience and more, what did I call it the "sound terrain" way back. Really only an epiphenomenon like a sound 3-d.

One issue that I never really pursued was that at one point John starting adding a different type of OPTs. The original ones were from tone cabinets from the 1930's-40's, and the ones he added were from something else from the 50's and 60's. The latter ones are a little larger and John began to use one type for certain output tubes and the latter type for other types of output tubes but I never really paid attention to what he was saying, but I guess the new ones were very close to the older ones that I did not have any complaints. But iron from the 30's-40's might be more desirable, maybe less extension, and weaker bass, but still better.

Edits: 03/08/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: My Hogan 6sn7/300b... - njjohn 14:26:05 03/08/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.