Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Yamamoto A-08S Repair?

So I decided to do some in depth checking today. I inserted a pair of shorting RCA's so that only the amplifier is connected to the speakers. My preamp and other sources are all off and out of the loop entirely.

With the A-08S on and a new pair of Shuguang 2A3C's inserted, I hear popping out of the left channel. I turned the A-08S off and inserted a pair of EML 45's and I still hear popping out of the left channel.

I turned the A-08S off and reversed the speaker cables and now the popping is coming out of the right channel speaker (which is connected to the A-08S left channel).

I turned the A-08S off and returned the speaker cables to their correct position and the popping is coming out of the left channel again.

I turned the A-08S off and replaced the 80 rectifier tube and the popping is still coming out of the left channel.

I turned the A-08S off and replaced the 717A driver tubes and the popping in the left channel stopped, but I hear it ever so faintly in the right channel. I have several pairs of 717A that I purchased several years ago. I'm starting to wonder if they weren't as "NOS" testing as they were proclaimed to be. I turned my preamp on and noticed that when I'd insert a pair of the 717A's, some times the left channel would cut out, but if I reversed the tubes, both channels played fine. ???!!!

As a last ditch effort, I put a new speaker cable on just the left channel and the popping is still present though significantly more silent. When the preamp was on using the old cable, I could hear the popping across the room. Now I have to put my ear against the tweeter to hear the popping even with the preamp on.

I put the old left channel cable on the right channel and there was no popping. I then put the old left channel cable back in place and the popping sound remains more silent than before. I guess I'm gonna run some contact cleaner across all the connections and see what happens. This is confusing me to say the least.

Kevin T
"religion is the opiate of the masses"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.