Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Anyone who writes about VC position in the context of power output IS ignorant

Umm the volume knob is used to control the power that is fed to a loudspeaker. The loudspeaker acts as a bucket that dips into the well (power). A high sensitive speaker will need less rotation on the knob than a LE speaker. However, since most speakers are in the 86db to 90db range and follow a similar design pattern then the customer needs to know how much power he has - especially if he does not own a meter and the amp doesn't have one.

The average person wants to know when he is out of power. Receiver makers were bad for this because they would have "high gain" amps that would be very loud with only a slight turn of the volume knob - this "tricks" the average customer into believing it is a "louder" amp because gee look at the 10'Oclock position it's deafening but on that other amp you have to turn it to 1'Oclock to get the same "perceived" volume level. The latter however may be a lower gain amp and may in fact play significantly louder overall because the first amp is already at full level before clipping.

I am aware that volume control and gain settings can be adjusted a variety of ways. What I should have originally said - was that I was not even near the amp's full output capability - Likely not even at the half way point. Of course it helps when the speakers and amps are mirror imaged at the design stage.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Anyone who writes about VC position in the context of power output IS ignorant - RGA 03:07:35 12/27/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.