Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: SE DHT amplifier with natural and lively sound

I looked at the speakers you have, and I guess I can see why you have some power worries. I assume you have spoken to Lynn or Kevin and that's where your information comes from.

10W+ DHT (Not DIY) means a parallel 300B, or a single 845, GM70, or 211 per channel (but I actually don't know of a paralleled 300B that is sold commercially).

If your heart is not 100% set on DHT SET, I can heartily recommend the new AN (UK) OTO SE version which has double C core OPTs. (I forget the designations, but these are new amps). The power amp is the P1 SE (again with a new version name to indicate HiB or UHB OPTs). I promise you this is both a lively and natural sounding 10W SET (EL84s).

What about Class A DHT PP. You can get 10W easily from two 300B/channel in class A PP, more from Class AB (the amp easily can be designed to operate in class A most of the time) I promise you this will be lively! I have a KT88 based class A PP-triode with some big Lundahl OPTs and it is very lively. Problem here is that you have to go to a custom builder to get these.

Edits: 10/27/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.