Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: No absolutes

I would not say I like SET automatically better every time. I have noticed a general pattern over the last 20 years where I have preferred Single Ended designs more.

It started with the Solid State SET (Sugden A21a). When I was first starting out like most I owned a SS based system - a flagship Pioneer Elite receiver. But it never really sounded very good - I though it was my 95db sensitive horn loaded (mostly 10ohm) Wharfedale Vanguards (based and improved upon E-70s). Trying out another power amp I realized that the speakers were not the problem. So I began looking at amps.

Like most 20 year olds who get in (and before the internet) I browsed review magazines - Stereophile, Hi-Fi Choice, What hi-fi and all of them gave a very good review to the Arcam Delta 290 integrated amplifier (was also the number one selling SS integrated in England - according to one of those Brit magazines.

So I went to the big high end dealer selling it. It was decent enough and then they let me audition the A21a (never heard of Sugden - some small British outfit). Wow I thought it was much better sounding but I could find no information on it (remember before the internet took full flight) so I figured the reviewers are the pros and if the Delta 290 is getting a Class B rating and Hi-Fi Choice and What Hi-Fi rave then maybe it was just the room or my ears playing tricks on me. I bought the Arcam. The Sugden I would hear many times in the future and each time I knew I made a critical mistake.

Then the internet is in full swing - Hi-Fi Choice does blind panel level matched sessions - and the old 1992 version was beating easily all of the new amps it was compared to. One of them chose a Roksan as a super test winner but only based on watts and features as they noted the Sugden sounded the best in the blind sessions.

Forumers then convinced Stereophile to review one - one of their reviewers - John Marks I believe but can't remember noted that it was basically the best amplifier in its class.

Martin Colloms in Stereophile noted that he conducted a blind listening session with some of the best solid state amplifier designers in the business - designers like those from Meridian. All of them making expensive amplifiers and all of them when blind chose an old $100 Radford tube amp (no feedback).

I read forums and wrote tube technology off - look at the measurements after all. I auditioned the Meishu semi-blind not knowing what I heard was a tube amp let alone a SET. None of the SET myths I read about were true - not one. Very deep very tight bass and extended treble and could play very loud. The myth about 2 way speakers with a single eight inch woofer also proved untrue as the dealer was selling massive B&W N801s which on big huge SS power lacked bass, bass weight, and sounded identifiably grainy and artificial. Something in the land of internet was wrong - perhaps a SS maker started the myth and lots of people without hearing it just repeated it and sooner or later the myth becomes a reality. Plenty of people rip a technology but when you dig it is almost always the case they have never heard a good example of the design.

Having been on forums for many years now - it is amazing to me how many people rip a system I say is good and not only have they not heard the system - they have not heard even one component of the system.

There's a guy on another forum who rips SET - hasn't heard one mind you. Same people rip turntables - have not heard a truly good turntable or one for the last 20 years. They have improved - but nope - they know because they heard a 1983 Dual with a $20 cartridge.

These same people who will write the technologies off based on measurements will spend $3000 on solid state amplifiers which measure no better than $300 receivers or used Crown and Hafler amps in pawn shops for $75. So they bought based on "better sound" without any real audible measurement advantage" and then write something else off without hearing it based on the measured performance which clearly stacks the deck against SET and vinyl.

SET measured best at low volume where SS measures worst. but all amps are measured at or near full volume where SS measures best and SET worst.

My CD player actually publishes the wow and flutter measurement - it has no bearing on CD players but used ONLY as a marketing tool to show people how much better it is to vinyl. This despite the fact that pretty much every modern table has wow and flutter below the threshold of human hearing. The analogy is like a camera with 16mega pixels looks so much better than a camera with 4 megapixels. Yes the numbers are a gimmick because if the 4 megapixel is using a massive high quality glass lens it will kick the snot out of the 16 mega pixel with a cheap plastic rubbish lens.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: No absolutes - RGA 11:53:46 08/21/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.