Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: There is more to it...

Most speakers are not tested in an Anechoic chamber - since most makers don't have one.

My Audio Note speakers are rated in room corner loaded since they were designed for corners - quasi anechoic measured speakers try to take all room boundaries including corners out of the equation. Therefore the measurements done quasi anechoic will be lower than real world results when positioned according the manufacturer. Corners gain 3db of sensitivity and up to 18db to low frequencies. This is why both Hi Fi Choice magazine and Hi-Fi Critic (Martin Colloms) measured and found the AN E to be 94.5 db sensitive and 17hz -6db (hi-Fi Choice 23hz -3db) while Stereophile which measured center of room (one loudspeaker) got 92.5db and ~28hz.

Apparently, anechoic style measurements also don't really provide accurate information about Electrostatic panels either due to their radiation pattern (ie their sensitivity is rated lower than their real world results at the listening position).

I am not a big fan of most of these specs because it takes people out of the listening. Here is a simple truth to figure out the specs - listening

1) speaker is set-up
2) amp is 8 watts
3) I get very loud very deep bass with any music

THEREFORE = system has high "enough" efficiency/high "enough" sensitivity/ High "enough" ease of drive

1) speaker is set-up
2) amp is 8 watts
3) Sound of bass is mushy, slow, lacks control distorts, treble is rolled off

Therefore = no matter what the specs and measurements the speaker does NOT possess high "enough efficiency/sensitivity/ease of drive"

But you can tell all of this with listening - no one really needs to read the spec sheet to hear if the system (speaker/amp) is having problems - if you need the spec sheet and the measurement to tell you this - then you don't really have very good ears so why bother spending money on high end audio equipment - you may as well go to Wal-Mart and buy the Home Theater in a Box for $129.99.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.