Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Hasn't hapened yet

High Efficiency is simply a speaker that does not possess low minimum impedance and Audio Note argues that they also should not have high minimum to maximum impedance swings either.

As an example - My speakers are 92.5db sensitive (in corners) 89.5db not in corners) (measured by Hi-Fi Choice) but they never drop below 5ohms nor do they go above 12ohms. My amplifier has a 4 ohm tap making it very easy to drive - easier than a 105db sensitive speaker that drops to 3ohms. The AN J is actually easier to drive than the AN E which drops to 3.6 ohms for a large section of the lower octaves - even though the AN E has a higher sensitivity rating it is harder to drive.

Still the AN J has no problems with bass, bass tightness and control, and the modest 10 watt amp I used (4 undistorted) is never needed past the 11 o'clock position on a full rotation pot. I get deep (sub 30hz) controlled bass at leave the room volume levels.

The Meishu is a 300b and in a much larger room the 8 watt beastie had oustanding grip and the ability to play louder than I am comfortable listening with "I can't believe there is no sub" kinds of bottom end. Granted I don't have a ton of experience with lesser grade amplifiers but to me the synergistic match is important with SE amplifiers. I think the Jinro has more grip than the Meishu but that is a 211 tube thing I believe - as from what I can tell the 300B people seem to find a mellower type - but that's another issue - the Jinro has a ton of command and grip and dynamics and headroom galore. And the AN speakers are not the easiest of speakers - there are even more efficient and more sensitive speakers out there.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.