Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: When did you know SE sound was it?

It did take about 6 months of adjacent room side by side listening. I had John Hogan's first amp, a 6sn7/300b stereo amp. And it took a few additional experiences during that time like going to hear a 60k system and going to a stereophile show or two.

I realized this about two days ago when I changed my speakers for the better in one room that I have. What I realized when I put more interesting speakers in a room was that audio sound ranges from the ordinary to the extraordinary. In this one room, I had let the sound slip to a rather ordinary one, but when I switched the speakers the sound went to the extraordinary. Then I took the replaced speakers and moved them to another room where they also changed the sound to extraordinary.

Audio sound is about going to the extraordinary. I realized early on that the amp had the greatest effect on the movement to the extraordinary. In fact, a good amp with good speakers can be sufficient to get an extraordinary sound. The multitude of other tweaks, which can add to going to the extraordinary, isn't all that important in this type of situation.

Other types of amps can also provide an extraordinary sound but to me their magic was not as compelling as what I experienced with SET with certain vintage opts. Some audio sound is alluring but alluring can be deceptive when compared to magic that is like bread and butter to the soul.

Edits: 08/13/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: When did you know SE sound was it? - njjohn 10:38:16 08/13/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.