Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: When did you know SE sound was it?

I went from tube PP to SE accidently when I powered up an old Magnavox EL84 amp around the year 1995. The cheap Magnavox blew away my carefully modified PP amps. I modded the Magnavox for even higher performance.

I sold my Dynaco Stereo 35 over that Magnavox. I also gave up on Fisher SA-100, Eico 2536, and others with serious mods.

I build a triode 6V6 PP & 45 PP amp and then PP was finally on par or slightly better than the highly modified SE EL84 Eico 2510 that outperforms the Magnavox SE EL84.

Now, a current DIY 6A3 PP amp is a little better than the Eico 2510 with that smooth and accurate SE sound but having better dynamics. However a Jeff Korneff SE 45 is causing me some problems with the 6A3 PP. The 45 SE smoothness is better than the 6A3 PP, but dynamics is not quite as good.

I believe I will build an 'all out' 2A3 SET and compare using newly acquired Klipsch Cornwalls. I may have to modify the Cornwalls to get a good comparison to my super DIY speakers that need more power than the Cornwalls.

It is hard to explain my amps as I doubt any vintage and many new manufacture would outperform my DIY designs. New manufacture amps of reasonable cost usually violate some ground rules I used in my DIY amps.

Rules are-
LCLC or fully regulated shunt power supplies with oil caps. Use of select tubes and rectifiers. Select coupling caps, wire, audio transformers, etc.

However, even that statement my DIY amps are best is flawed as what I like in sonics pleases me first and may not exactly please some others.

Fact is I am ever seeking the best sound, but is fun even if I an f*cked doing this crazy quest. Whatever.

Solid-state- just fun, not in the tube league IMO. Perhaps some Accuphase could make me think again. Never say never- right?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.