Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

When did you know SE sound was it?

I have often seen the debate that SE guys went to SE from solid state and don't generally go back.

So my questions are as follows:

1) When did you know SE (SET) was the best sound to your ears

2) What amplfier (SS or Tube or both) did you leave in the dust

3) Did the SE or SET amp you went to cost significantly more than the non SE (SET) amp you had before.

For me

1) The first exposure to SET was a kind of blind audition in that I didn't know I was listening to a SET amp and by far it was the best music reproduction I had heard in the last 20 years (at that time) - it was a Audio Note Meishue amplifier at around $8000.

2) I had owned amplifiers from Pioneer, Arcam, Fisher but lots of experience with many highly touted amplifiers from Bryston, YBA, Krell, Meridian, Cambridge Audio, NAD, Rotel, Naim, Sugden, Classe.

3) The Meishue at $8k was more expensive than what I owned at the time but nowhere near as expensive as many of the amplifiers I had a lot of audition time on. So in a sense I found it to be exceptional value - but also costly in that $8k isn't chump change.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - When did you know SE sound was it? - RGA 17:54:41 08/07/11 (84)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.