Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Sounds similar to what I hear here

"As with all things audio one tires of the sound before too long. One should have (at least!) two amplifiers of very different qualities to switch back and forth since all of the approaches have their merits."

Thankfully then, I am more into connecting with music rather than audio equipment or merely its sound. I don’t do the archetypical audiophile thing so much. Yes, systems are a tool or conduit for musical reproduction; I can critically evaluate them when I feel it is a requirement (rarely). Largely, I simply connect with music without thinking about the system – or how music is being presented – at all. Systems are not my usual primary focus; generally there is no system to get bored of. However, I do like to experience fresh music. I guess it depends on one’s orientation and the mental / emotional attachment (neediness) to said orientation.

Note: I am not saying my approach is right or wrong; better or worse; good or bad... There is nothing factual here - just personal spun concepts and ether.

"Is there a serious listener (one who listens intently for more than an hour at a time) who has used the same amplifier for over two years? I would like to know."

I guess I fit the broad description (I have had my current amp for about 10 years), though I would not consider myself a "serious listener".

I am looking to design and build a SET amp in the near future, though that is more about my need for a creative interest rather than a need to change equipment.

Cheers
Raymond

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." Shunryo Suzuki

Edits: 10/17/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.