Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Sounds similar to what I hear here

How many times we read emotional reactions to those who are using their ears instead of a distortion analyzer or the infamous power supply designer tool (I love the tool but would never use it as an argument for or against a design)?

SET design is as much an art as a science, it would seem. Yet, there are many who forget that all science begins somewhere with an observation (which does include the ears). How often when someone has told of a phenomenon they have discovered, or think they have discovered, and they ask others to try it to see if there is something to it how often the reaction is based upon the fact that it does not follow what the textbook said, it does not perform well on the PSU DESIGNER, their friend the physicist said it is ridiculous, it measures poorly, one can go on and on.

Those drawn to the immediacy of simple circuits KNOW they are having to compromise certain aspects while other approaches to amplifier design plainly outperform the beloved SET. They are willing to forgo these attributes for the emotional impact of the immediacy of the simple circuit.

So who should be surprised of such a write up in WIKIPEDIA. They could easily point to many of the controversies in this FORUM for proof.

And, of course, they are not completely wrong. But it is a choice made for a specific reason.

As with all things audio one tires of the sound before too long. One should have (at least!) two amplifiers of very different qualities to switch back and forth since all of the approaches have their merits.

Is there a serious listener (one who listens intently for more than an hour at a time) who has used the same amplifier for over two years? I would like to know.

Rick McInnis

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.