Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Re:The value of pictures of John Hogan amps

1. “Anyway whats the point of showing off the pictures of those amps??”

Since I am the original poster on this, I am pleased to answer you. I posted some additional pictures of some of the John Hogan amps that I have in response to postings by others, showing their JH amps. I wanted to share pictures for those who are interested in these odd, but unique creations. There are several reasons that pictures of these amps are of interest. It is important to recognize that there are no drawings, schematics, parts lists or specifications for these amps. So we can’t share any of those things with each other. Photos can tell something about the amps, such as what type of transformers are used, proximity of tube sockets and other parts, types of tubes used, owner preferences for specific tube choices, even identification of specific external parts used. Photos of the interiors, of course can tell us even more.

2. “Everybody already know they're ugly.”

That may be your opinion, but others may well disagree with you. To those of us who own these, their outward appearance pleases us for a number of reasons. I am reminded of a friend in my youth who inherited an early 60’s VW bug from one of his sisters. He was very interested in improving the performance of the bug, and kept making mechanical improvements to make it more power and better handling. After a number of years he ended up with a Carrera engine, transmission and brakes. The exterior he left stock in every regard. I have fond memories of riding shotgun when he blew off Corvettes at a stop signal. I believe the term is “Sleeper”. In addition to being “Sleepers”, some of us find great beauty in the simple, raw, industrial look of these and think the emphasis on function rather than appearance is exceptionally cool. That is another reason to show photos, because to some Asylum members, these are a thing of beauty as well as interest.

3. “Say something how they sound and compare and if anybody tried to substitute the "magical transformer "with proper HQ SE transformer and what was the effect.”

That has been done in the past and I am sure there will be more of that in the future. That was not the purpose in this post. I myself am planning on some critical listening to my JH amps over the next few months and making my notes public on this forum.

4. You ,NJohn need no answer.

I am please to answer you , but I believe that Njjohn or any other member has the right to chime in.

5. Regards and please, its a question not an inquire for flames.

Cheers and no flame intended.

I think that I should also say that the increase in posts on John Hogan amps by those of us lucking enough to own them is part of our grieving process. We lost a friend and we all lost an interesting, unique and creative Asylum member. I think the Audio Asylum is a particularly appropriate place to share this kind of information and opinions.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.